A Small Group Study
As we walk through life, there are going to be people who disappoint us and let us down. Though we realise that no one’s perfect, some people may even go out of their way to make our life a struggle. Maybe you know a few people like that. What should our response be when the people in our life disappoint us or let us down.
In the first book of the Bible, Genesis; we find a man named Joseph. Throughout Joseph’s life, numerous people disappointed him, let him down and just plain treated him poorly.
A Christian Southern Rock band called “Thieves & Liars” has written an entire album titled “When Dreams Become Reality“, that relates to Joseph’s life. In this album, each track follows the various points in Joseph’s life, as he struggles through numerous disappointments.
“Slavin’ Away” by Thieves & Liars
We don’t have time to explore the entire album tonight. However, we are going to have a quick look at a Thieves & Liars music video, and then feel free to check them out on iTunes tonight when you get home. This is “Slavin’ Away” from “When Dreams Become Reality” music video.
Please note that the video does not actually depict the story of Joseph, but lyrical elements lead us into some of the feelings that Joseph may have had.
Momma I’ve been working all day long,
Can’t find a place to rest my head.
My back is aching, fingers wearing down to the bone.
Is it all for nothing? Yes its all for nothing.
I want to go so I give it up to the one who knows my name.
Another day at the reins is mental pain and I will scream.
The same thing every day is driving me to go insane.
Only one can grant your freedom someday.
Momma I’ve been slaving all day long,
Can’t tell which way is up or down.
I’m crying out for the Lord to rain some grace from above,
And it starts raining.
I want to know which way that I’m to turn,
I give it up to the one who knows my name so I can learn.
Praying for my God to tell me how,
To keep moving on when life is getting you so down.
I want to know which way that !m to turn,
I give it up to the one who knows my name.
Small Group Study
- When you read over the lyrics to this song, what words relate to a feeling of disappointment or being let down?
- Read Genesis 37:1-11. How is Joseph’s family reacting to the dreams that God had given him? How does Joseph react? How would you react?
- Read Genesis 37:12-23. How disappointed or let down do you think Joseph feels at this point in his life? What would be thinking at this point, if you were Joseph?
- Read Genesis 37:24-28. Has Joseph’s situation improved? What do you think is going through Joseph’s head at this moment?
- Read Genesis 39:1-10. How has disappointment leaked into Joseph’s life this time? How does he deal with this scenario?
- Read Genesis 39:11-23. What would you do if you were Joseph? What does patience and prayer have to do with disappointment?
- What can we learn from Joseph and his life full of disappointment? How will you apply his story this week?
Join the Conversation, Leave Your Thoughts
How do you deal with disappointment?