I don’t think I need to highlight that pornography is a problem.
The internet has been around for a while now. So at this point, you (or someone close to you) have experienced the destructive effects that our lust, lived out through pornography, can have.
Today I want to focus on a resource.
This resource has assisted thousands of men and women, fight their desires for lust and helped them overcome their pornography addictions.
This resource is called Covenant Eyes.
At $8.99 for personal support or $12.99 for family support, Covenant Eyes offers 2 services. These services can be downloaded onto your Mac, PC, tablet or smart phone.
1. Internet Accountability: This service does not filter any content. As per the Covenant Eyes website, it does the following:
“Internet Accountability tracks websites you visit on your computers, smart phones, and tablets, and sends them in an easy-to-read report to someone you trust. This makes it easy to talk about the temptations you face online.” (CovenantEyes.com)
2. Web Content Filtering: This is a filtering service. According to Covenant Eyes, here’s how it works:
“Sometimes you or your kids need an extra layer of protection. Get Internet Filtering to block inappropriate web content based on age. You can also block certain times of day and create custom block and allow lists.” (CovenantEyes.com)
I currently use Internet Accountability.
As soon I connect any internet connection, a small icon of an eye opens up in my menu bar, near the wireless icon (see photo above). Once the internet is disconnected, the eye closes.
As per my personal settings, once a week, my wife gets an email listing any Mature or Highly Mature content that I have viewed.
Then we have a conversation.
Which is really the key to Covenant Eyes success, in my opinion.
Its one thing to try to block all the damaging content on the internet, but you’ll never get it all. At some point, personal accountability has to be the focal point.
Every time I log on, I have a choice.
I can choose to view something that will (1) damage my relationship with God, (2) damage my relationship with my wife and (3) eventually damage my relationship with my boys.
Knowing that my wife will view the content that I have viewed is a deterrent. However, knowing that my wife will ask me some tough questions about that content, empowers me to make the right choice.
Here’s how you sign up.
1. Visit www.CovenantEyes.com. (This link should open up in a new browsing window.)
2. Click on Pricing in the menu bar. (This should give you the option to sign up for a personal, family or group account.)
3. Click Sign Up under the account type of your choice. (This will start the registration and payment options.)
4. This will take you through the Add Users process. (You will need your accountability partners email address for this page of registration.)
5. Add your Payment Options. (This should complete the registration and emails will be sent to you and your accountability partner.
Have you or someone close to you had a struggle with pornography? What tools or resources helping you overcome those desires? Who stood by your side through the struggle?
Photo Credit: J. Norton, 24-04-2014, Covenant Eyes Screen Shot